Propellers and Ducts

I got a question: I made my propeller from a normal outboard prop which i cut down on a lathe to fit to the duct.
Shall i round these edges or shall i keep them sharp?

Never Ever round any edges on the forward part of a prop, keep these sharp

Not sure if i understand you correct, what is the forward part of a prop? Maybe someone else can help me?

The forward part is the one that would cut your finger if you stick it into the prop. You didn’t change the forward edge though. The place you machined and at which you are pointing the arrow is the blade tip.

Show the propeller from several directions to make it easier to see. Only then will the propeller be easy to judge.

Please have a look here:

Question is, if outlet vanes could increase the efficiency. How could they be shaped?

1 Like

Your setup looks great!

I plan to try the same setup as yours with different props and two motors I have powerglider 100kv and turnigy sk3 149kv ( with two blade prop - should be more efficient).
@PowerGlider, can you please share your enclosure and motor mount design, so I can try it ( also outlet vanes as well). I think outlet vanes should be thin and just straight ( as per your shared video and my personal investigation) probably motor enclosure supporters should be angled in opposite to rotating direction

I have ordered 100kV MP56115 inrunner motor with 14s 300A watercooled esc.
My setup: 12s 20Ah liion battery, direct drive, loaded rpm about 3500rpm. Target speed 35-40km/h (min 30km at first)
Could you suggest the prop for this setup?

2 Likes

To proksa1: In order to be able to select the correct propeller for the e-foil, you must first measure the drive torque (Part 1 - When to select the right impeller (for jet propulsion) or the right propeller - Propulsion System (Motor, Gears) - FOIL.zone)

I want to use it for old surfboard, not for efoil.

This principle is universal - it’s not only for e-foil, but also for surfboard and Titanic

You can leave the edges sharp!

1 Like

I shared a link on another thread to a Free Impeller Design Software if you guys are interested: Jet Propulsion? - #64 by VeFoil - Propulsion System (Motor, Gears) - FOIL.zone

2 Likes

Currently exploring the different options for waterproofing my motor shaft with the printed housing. Will something as simple as a mechanical seal get the job done? Or even just a rotary shaft seal? Or will more drastic measure have to be taken?

Just for inspiration: https://youtu.be/v1p8Fon9Ykg

A guy build his own EDF blades from carbon fibre.

1 Like

or : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO9zJ0BKDFI

:wink:

1 Like

i use this: Joint spi oas-12x20x6-fpm - 12x20x6 mm | 123roulement

man these carbon guys are just sickly awesome! thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Hey @WNT,
I want to try an old jetski impeller, what’s your take on that?
It’s a Skat-Trak USA 9-17

1 Like