Oil Cooled, Direct Drive Build From the East Coast

thanks! will give that a try if silicone doesn’t work!

5200 is what you use to install through hull fittings to boats if you never ever want to remove them again! Its good stuff.

Also, heres a cool trick I used to drill holes straight through driveshafts for motor pins. Just draw up a quick drill guide and print it out! Super handy.

7 Likes

good idea! i like it.

Great idea @Jsonnett Are you able to share the stl file for that one.

Id be happy to but its for a 3/8 inch shaft. I can make more for different sized shafts. What diameter shaft do you need it for?

1 Like

Thankyou @Jsonnett your efforts are appreciated. I need it for the pacificmeister build which uses a 8mm shaft. I would do it myself, but Cad is all new to me. Thanks again. Cheers from Aus.

Here you go. Let me know if this works. Print at .2mm layer height and if you print with the side labeled bottom down you wont need supports. Fusion

2 Likes

Thankyou @Jsonnett Thats a legendary effort. Ill let you know how it turns out.

1 Like

Hi Jsonnett, I having the same problem drilling through the shaft aswell cheers for the stl file. what drill bites did you use as I been drilling for 10mins and the shaft is still like new, did not touch it? also how was it taping the thread on the end, I not tried that yet. thinking of getting a different shaft as struggling. Has anyone using different shaft that is easy to work with?

I just used the micro drill bit set from harbor frieght tools. Make sure you use some lubricant and also make sure the drill is spinning the correct way ( no shame, its an easy mistake). Took about 30 seconds if drilling with a couple stops to pull the bit out and clear the chips out.

For the shaft i just used one of these precision shoulder bolts from McMaster with threads already tapped. McMaster-Carr

I am using a 3/8" inch one for my own design though. haven’t tried this with the 10mm shaft.

2 Likes

Have you changed the timing on the esc. With that low of kv the esc might be limiting the rpm not based on amps.
Mike

I have tried changing the timing from 0 all the way to 35. It helped some but still well below the power I need

What diameter and pitch is your biggest prop? We have a 4.5”D 5.5”P prop direct drive on 160kv. We have a 50kv coming so it will be interesting to see the prop difference.

Heres a mockup of a thruster using an 80100 motor from alien. I call it the football. What do you guys think? Its a big step up from the 50mm motor I am using now. I wanted to mock it up to see if it was just ridiculously big.

I ordered a data logger kit from eagle tree to get a better idea of whats going on with my current 50mm setup but if I need to make the switch to a larger motor I might as well “send it” with this monster 80mm motor.

Im also tuned into @PowerGlider’s post to see how the alien 6384 he ordered works out.

2 Likes

The biggest prop (and the one I have had the most success with was a solas 7 1/4 x 6p. I pulled about 2000W with that one. I also printed a 4 blade pacific meister prop that had about a 7.5 inch diameter but the motor wouldnt even turn it in when I put it in the water unless i used just a tiny bit of throttle. It would just sorta shake and then the esc would shut off until I let off the throttle.

What cad are you using? If Onshape, can I get a copy of your pod? We have a 80100 on order.
On the big prop, what was the max amps you got?

I am using Fusion 360. Happy to send over step files if they are compatible. This housing is just a mockup “dummy” housing though. no motor inside. Basically just a shell. I wanted to see what it would look like with such a massive motor.

I have fusion 360 so I can work with it. Just curious with how you designed it.
Mike

Which ESC are you using exactly? Can you post a link to the product description?
I think the problem with your setup is, that the ESC limits the motor phase current successfully, so it is not destroyed, which is rather unusual. Can you measure the power consumption when the propeller is at full throttle in air? Can you measure the RPM in air? Can you measure the temperature of the ESC at full load?
As i understood, the battery power consumption is sinking when you increase the diameter and/or pitch of your props.

Here you go. Password is: efoilsrule

remember its just an exterior mock up so there are no internal features for motor mounts, cord sealing, shaft seals, bearings…