Nicks Jet direct drive Build

Ya I did/do, but eagle tree cannot handle 100A+ it says it can to 150A but it gets WAY to hot just have it turned on with current going through it. I don’t push things to their limits and break them if I know it cant handle it :slight_smile: I prefer keeping all the parts for future use projects instead.

I do use the eagle tree logger for RPM and GPS only now, and have a separate hall sensor current/volt meter.

We tried those to see how they performed and believe it or not, their nozzle/vanes setup has the same flaw as a MHZ in my opinion. There is a flow restriction in the nozzle the way its designed/shaped that creates extra back pressure and draws more amps. Our own design nozzle gives more thrust than both companies, which is a real eye-opener as I thought them being professional jet surf builders would have things tuned for peak performance.

This was one box of parts we had icking around, but we tested a couple hundred variousions to find the best mix of impeller/nozzle/vanes.
IMG_1280

The only really cool thing about their nozzle/vanes is how they did the extra small shaft bearing, packed with grease, and then a shaft seal so the bearing is always lubed, water or sand cannot get in. This is brilliant and we are implementing the same idea in ours now.

2 Likes

I suspect you were getting extra back pressure because the Onean nozzle is designed for a different sized motor with different KV. If you use a motor that is pushing too much water it will create the back pressure.

The motor does not matter, its when cavitation starts and thrust drop thats the limit. That impeller and nozzle will perform the same no matter the motor size as long as it can get up to peak RPM.

You may be right Jezza. I don’t see the point of designing and building something, not to the peak performance of the impeller limits and wasting that potential if they made a minor tweak to the nozzle. The Carver based on video reviews struggles to get 200lb+ guys moving fast, tweaking the nozzle would just add that 10-12% more thrust without increasing amps, its no brainer. But it is what it is, not our design and not using it.

Congrats fort he nice work Chris.
How is data logging going to behave with the home-brewed VESC you announced last September 8th ?

100A continuous full throttle with no water cooling required, 170A continuous full throttle with water cooling

All is good, we are getting ready for production run of our own VESC specific for this sport as we speak. We were out today riding and Cruising current is 45-65Amps and I am 115kg (255lbs). I can only imagine a normal sized rider is drawing 30-50A easy

2 Likes

Which motor are you using?

1 Like