Looking for 160a HV ESC with Soft Start

Hi All,

Looking for an ESC for my project and was looking at this YGE 160HV which has a soft start option.

https://www.lindinger.at/en/airplanes/electric-powerplants/speed-controllers/yge-160-hv-brushless-esc-4-14s-opto-v5

The problem is it is out of stock and a bit pricey.

Can anyone recommend something similar with a soft start option please.

My motor is 6000w and I plan to use a 12s lipo

Thanks

Ramsay

There is YEP (apparently copy of YGE with same/simmilar firmwire) 120 and 180 HV versions. Idk much about but Silvio (and 1 more user, use search) is using 120A version and seems to work fine, i dont think he has water cooling. His cruising amperage is around 30-40(?). There are some online reviews that marine version of YEP sux cause of bad thermal connection between waterpipes and fets but… I am far from knowing anything about it. Check it out online. Some heli users reported very smooth start.

Thanks, yeah did see that YEP one. Have also been looking at the Alien power systems ones but not sure if they have a equivalent version or whether they offer soft start options.

I don’t plan for it to be water cooled at this stage. For the first version everything will be going in a waterproof box at the front of the board

I installed the Flier ESC. You can adjust Al ot of different settings. I posted the part list on Dropbox:

You want soft start? Put an Arduino in between the Receiver and the ESC. The Arduino can read the PPM signal and only transmits a slower version of that signal. Easy to program and to wire up.

How about 150A ESC base on vesc6?

1 Like

If this is considered spam let me know, but we have recently released the ARC200. Specifically it is a torque control sinewave motor drive (field oriented control) which is a much more advanced way to drive a motor.

Typical RC esc’s use zero cross detection and block commutation which don’t monitor motor current and are extremely primitive in comparison.

2 Likes

How does your product compare with a regular off the shelf esc? Could you tell me more about the features that makes it different?

The main difference is that the Arc200 is a sinewave (sensorless FOC) controller so the motor runs quieter and more efficiently. The Arc200 also directly controls motor torque which allows a better control feel.

There are also many protection features and options to keep your motor, drive, and battery safe. Please do know that this type of controller requires specific setup for your motor, but we think the results are worth the effort!

You can checkout the wiki to see everything the Arc200 can do. https://freeflysystems.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FRP/pages/269287436/Arc200

I ran my first tests in the bathtub yesterday with the ARC200 (Freefly have very kindly sent me a test unit).
Initially I ran my old ESC I have been using for the foil (HK Yep 120A HV) and on the 6384 100Kv direct drive it really didn’t seem to compare to my geared setup.

I changed the ESC over to the ARC200 and it made a massive difference!!! Honestly even though its just been in bath tests (I’ll upload a video shortly) it has already shown WAY more promise than the cheaper ESC.
I am running it in Torque mode with no reverse and with a “jitter start”. You can set the temp cutoff for the ESC, max battery amps, max motor amps. All relevant voltage cutoffs. You can adjust the throttle curve. It really is fantastic to have such fine control over the setup.
The motor also starts up really smoothly now and can spin the prop really slowly which I never had with my other ESC.
I’ll drop a video in my thread on testing the ARC200 so that you can see this shortly…

1 Like

Adding in a little bathtime fun… https://www.instagram.com/surferjelliott/p/Brh3kPgnDjear7NYEbgBXYIR0JNijnQZReXx8k0/