Jet Propulsion?

I have not ordert jet - but i entered everything except my credit card-number and the shipping was free (to Austria) - so it seems shipping is free - at least in Europe :wink:

The shipping seems to be free shipped to a European address or collected in Bilbao
Onean / Aquila electric surf board
Av. de la Ribera de Axpe 8, Erandio, Vizcaya
Bilbao, Bizkaia 48950
Spain

160eu from Onean compared to 415€ plus shipping from Mhz is a game changer.
Impellers 63.6mm for Onean and 64mm for MHZ, I’ve always thought that MHZ was Onean’s manufacturer.
In October, MHZ is planing to release the complete jet pod for efoils ready to connect to mast and electric box. :upside_down_face:

Well, MHZ is a whole jet propulsion, Onean is just a nozzle and the impeller.
You are missing the whole stuff like inlet, shaft to the motor, seals of shaft, bearings of shaft, housing of impeller, bearing of impeller, axial and radial fixation of impeller…and I am sure there is still missing some smaller parts.
And then it is still not said, if you can get the (same) pressure/thrust, e.g. if you have too big tolerances/gap of the housing around the impeller you will lose thrust.

but it is at least a start :wink: - but for sure i what love to see in the housing of the impeller
and I guess we all in the experiment-phase - and these Onean parts give me in option to have a good impeller … is this 160€ worth i don’t know …

I was just comparing the price of 2 equivalent kits : nozzle stator and impeller spotting that the price of the MHZ bearing was only 255€ (415 - 160) :wink:

• on the left Onean 160€
  • on the right MHZ 415€
    Eonan%20vs%20MHZ

What is curious is that this “whole stuff” cost half the price of this “Hydrofoil kit” (nozzle+ impeller) in the complete Jet 64 kit costing 649€.

Not obvious the reason why MHZ has proposed this 415€ “Hydrofoil Kit” to the efoil builders knowing so many essential elements (including the impeller) were missing.

160€ is a good price so let’s look for some inspiration in the trail opened by the MHZ project :

180508_ZSB_Hydrofoil_Antrieb_8_38pc
180508_ZSB_Hydrofoil_Antrieb_4_38pc

2 Likes

I found this picture:

thats a view in the caver inlet - on this picture it seems the impeller does not sit “directly” on the strator

and it is a very custom drive-shaft -

and also found a video where some said the impeller is driven by two motors - I’m not sure if this is true (double outrunners with one shaft? - but i don’n see any water cooling …

any ideas?

1 Like

It’s driven by one motor. They have released a board with two jets recently as well. They don’t use big motors on their boards, hence the need for 2 if the person weighs more than 85Kg

We just got some of our jet propulsion parts machined to make things more waterproof, easier for assembly and to disassemble, plus more durable and sexy. Really exciting to see!
IMG_1123IMG_1118IMG_1116

5 Likes

It is very likely that the impeller for Vefoil will have a higher efficiency than Mhz and Onean. That’s why it pays to wait for the VeFoil prototype to be completed.

1 Like

This would be very nice - but why is this so? and Vefoil nozzel dosen’t have strators … (i foud they are important)

They now offer a transmission/ shaft splitter.
MHZ transmission

I hope that @VeFoil will provide performance charts similar to this one, here after the MHZ Jet 52 Booster - Max. 3,3 kW - 20kg at 13.500rpm… 23.8kg at 16.800rpm.
@all :it is only a 52mm impeller, as provided on MHZ’site for a bodyboard
As we’re witnessing an increase in performance, I was wondering if this one (two steps down) wouldn’t suit our needs. MHZ also have 58mm and 64mm but the charts are not provided ? As a reminder, MHZ have chosen the 64mm impeller (see the two 3D drawings above) as their “Hydrofoil kit”. When we look at Elevate’s figures (0.7KW in flight) the 64mm might be overkill…

@ELEVATE.rocks : as a mouth watering starter, do you think you can show us your expeller’s chart that matches your recent high lift / low drag front wing ? You are the only brand to have chosen the expellers. All the other manufacturers offer propellers ( Lift, CabraTech, Fliteboard, …) or impellers (Eldoridedo, VeFoiil, …)

We used impeller as well (and still use on one prototype) .
We expierienced that no matter what optimization we did (Diameter nozzle length for pressure increase a.s.o) that 2kW was the magic number for cruising with the e-foil (Our optimum at the end was about 60mm diameter with 40mm nozzle and about 9500RPM)…Thats why we decided to change to more efficient propellers. So if anyone finds a solution to ride with less than 2kw, congrats !

5 Likes

Can you tell what are you using know? Prop + Motor + Gearbox Reatio

Are you saying less than 2Kw with a jet?

Yes, we have stators (diffuser) you cant use a jet/impeller without them, they are critical :slight_smile:
We are still 3D printing various stators as they change performance and we are working towards the best possible setup. We tested the MHZ nozzle and stator and found our own nozzle design generated 9.4% more thrust, and we believe we can improve on that with our newer nozzle, stator, and impeller designs we are working on. Exciting times!

ebuilders-stator

@SoEFoil Yes we will provide detailed chart just like you want once we nail down jet specs, no problem. I agree 64mm is large for an impeller, but if you lower the pitch it can work as direct drive.

5 Likes

Indeed. What is amazing is that jetsurf research on impellers/stator coupling is more than 50 years old and you are still making significant progress by trial and error (or by the mean of another skilled backer :wink:) .
By the way, which impeller diameter did allow you to gain 9.4% wrt the MHZ 64mm ?

Yes VeFoil, this is a very correct view (pitch adjustment).

Just for fun, I took @pacificmeister 's original cad to build this jetdrive with 64mm impeller which is a bolt on for a direct drive setup. The jetdrive has 2 pieces which thread into each other once the impeller is secured.

I need to tweak the impeller some more to get the thrust I need to plane.

I have not tested it yet…stay tuned.

6 Likes

Let us know how it goes! Would you feel like sharing your impeller cad model? I’m finding it really hard to design one :joy: