How shall I power the safety cutoff relay?

Good to hear that you found the problem! I missed to forum lately, I should have warned you that it’s not advisable to run a contactor solenoid like yours below safety engagement voltage! All the electronics that controls huge loads thru solenoids have a 8 to 9V shut down safety, because the force from the coil became too weak to keep the contacts closed, causing resistance to raise dangerously up to the point were the contact blades melts and get soldered! Seen more than once in boat bowthrusters… not fun. It sounded strange such a heat on Allbright relays, they’re among the best.
So far, I’m still happy with my Vedder style 5 Mosfet antispark switch! Another run, another stand up, another 5 minutes of fun ended because of water into the remote but… I’m happy!!

1 Like

Thanks. I keep it at 9.5V now a d hope that my stuff is waterproof!

@MaB I ordered one of the Vedder style 5 mosfet switches a week ago, yet to receive yet. Are you using this as a safety switch off also, i.e switching off under load if you fall off board? This is my plan but worried it might damage ESC or itself?

I read that cutting power to the ESC under load could blow the esc… was on some producer website. The same told me the Russian guy who sell the antispark… For now, my only safety is up to Arduino lost signal timeout, on rc. The Vedder is handy and safe when connecting batteries or swimmingvaround the board. Max does the same with relays.

I am thinking if I pull the safety lanyard then do a fast ramp down on the ESC (maybe 700ms). Then cut power via the Vedder mosfet switch.
@MaxMaker have you tested cutting the power via your relay when the ESC/Motor is under load?

I haven’t tested it yet, but I have the same routine as you. First it ramps down the ESC in 0.5s and then it cuts the power.