Full size 3D-printed mast profile + collar + fuselage for a school project

Hello guys,

I have found on Internet a mast collar dimensions.

I want to make an STL from it, but I need to have the exact dimensions to suit various boards. Would anyone have it please ?

Thank you

1 Like

Depends on what year your foil is. The 2017 rocket foil has a thinner and longer mast. 2016 is different again

2 Likes

Those hole spacing dimensions of 5.75mm X 9mm don’t visually look correct. Those bolts are more like 6mm and 40mm apart if you measure from the edge of the bolt instead of the middle of the bolt. And like was said. Big difference from 2016 2017

1 Like

Thx.

Great to see my 17-year-old son (@Axelgib) capable of using Solidworks and his personal 3D printer and this forum … He is actually looking for a summer job in the engineer field (3 languages French / English / Spanish) if anyone has anything) :wink:

3D printed mast on its way, in 20cm pieces for a total of 60cm.

Then a 3D printed collar…

Now all of this is going to require 20 hours of printing (collar + 2 pieces of mast)…

Does anyone know how the mast is fixed to the collar please ?

Thank you

Mast is normally just a press fit into the collar and then screwed with 2 or 3 screws. Using the holes you have shown on the mast and collar. I.e these holes need to match, and are different for each brand. Not sure this would be sufficient for 3D printed though. Might need to use steel inserts or similar.

8 Metric * 1.25 coarse pitch * 1.5" Length w/bevel flat head. Assuming you have the 8M receiver on the mast and with the correct spacing

1 Like

The mast head cavity is slightly tapered to receive the mast.

It will be very difficult to get your mast to fit into your mast head. You cannot hand layup a precise shape. I would suggest printing both as one solid body and then glassing everything over with a lot of layers. The printed parts only provide the shape and cannot be loaded. The carbon or glass will take the loads.

2 Likes

OK thanks a lot guys.

@Mat’s 3D printed wings with the boltable PLA LF-alike mast…

2 Likes

That is a lot of plastic ! But that is one of the coolest and safest full size school project ever.

The 60cm-mast allows for 2 threaded rods to go through the whole thing so that it can firmly be screwed together for being used as a mold

4 Likes

Looks beautifull! One suggestion if you allow me: being a study, why not to shape a full profiled fuselage+motor hub, and have a single piece efoil? Many here did the separate hub because of modding an existin foil (me too), but next could be with integrated fuselage

Ive tried to do the same but its come out terrible! Novice here to this, design and 3d printing. I don’t suppose you’d start the STL files please?

Have you tested this?

Amazed congrats!!!

This is my current poor attempt, parts joined with glue. I tried heat and they all snapped, how is yours joined?

You are so right MaB

Hello Foxy,

Have a look at that video. That is for a plane, but it does not matter, look at the way he glues the part… Immediate and super clean.

My son Axel glued the parts together by using an electronic welder, melting extra plastic cable.

I also like to 3D print little surfaces, like 1 cm large by 0.6 mm thin bands, and use it by melting it over two objects to connect. Very clean.

Please note that I did insert 2 metal rods on the whole length so that it would not snap

Halo All member, very interesting to follow discuss abaut efoil, its new thing for me, I will made, because so many good place to plying efoil in my country (Indonesia), God bless you All.

@philgib did you ever get around to releasing your stl files :wink:

1 Like

Im also looking for the stl files for the mast.

1 Like