For who try/have tried direct drive with outrunner

I have another thought. Wondering what you think. I assume you know of the APS-70110, Water proof 70mm outrunner Alien motor that is in a Stainless Steel can. That motor seems very similar to the motor Jsonnett is building. MaxMaker and some others are using this new motor. It might be the same motor in a different can. Would you expect to see the same problem with that motor?

Hi PowerGlider,

Do you have a model of your prop? I’m looking at the 80100 motor(130kV or 80kv/7000W) or the motor you are using. The 80100 may be overkill. I don’t think I need that much power. Wondering what you prop pitch is? I don’t think you are foiling but its probably enough power to get lifted.

thanks
Mike

I can confirm, 80100 is overkill.
but after doing a full complex build for month and ending up under power, overkill is a nice option… at least it works, i just started a thread showing how i used it.
I have the 80 KV version. I use a Solas 0001-073-06P so pitch is 6 inch, and it seems appropriate. Top speed might be a bit high, but that might be just because i’m starting, and who doesn’t like a bit extra speed ?? :slight_smile:

that sounds good Mat and I agree…I’d rather have too much power. :smile:
Do you know how much torque that motor has? The power glider motor has 6.9nM which
I think is enough. Ok, look forward to seeing your posts on your set up. I’m getting close to ordering parts…and then I’ll share.

No idea about the torque… all i know is that it works… and the motor doesn’t seems to struggle too much to rotate the prop. All i can say for sure is that it doesn’t stall.

I installed a power meter to get more data when riding, but that’s a big failure as i can’t read it when riding and it doesn’t record the data…

My build is in the thread “80100 direct cooling”

Pop a gopro on and aim it at the meter :slight_smile:

Sorry, i do not have any model or STL files of the props i am using. All of them are commercially.
First model was 7 1/4 x 5", cut back to around 170mm in the old duct
2nd was the same but cut back to 137mm in new duct
3rd is 7 1/2 x 8" cut back to 137mm. I also plan to test 7 1/2 x 7" and also cut it.
All have pinion drive, the later ones i also cut the hub to adapt to the motor to make it shorter. The better quality was the Yamaha branded.
Have a look here:

You can also try the plastic Solas ones, like Mat, i did not use them but thought about.

ok thanks. I will get a few to test. What dia are you getting the most thrust out of? and which the most speed? Is the yamaha the best performing?

im using 2x 83100 watercooled outruners… and you say your single is overkill haha

they are rated for the same power as the 80100 so i think you have the right number… if you’re building a family foil :slight_smile: