Efoil build using drill gearbox

I had an aluminum tube to fit perfectly the gap gearbox/tube, with thermal grease around… maybe was not enough.
No more Apex, I have not found one available soon. I have a Neugart now. That probably have even more cooling issues, because of the smaller diameter…40mm vs 56 of the tube. But many peoples use it without issues

Got the foil sorted sit is able to be unplugged and removed. Just need to get the rest. Of the wiring sorted now.

3 Likes

Hello,
Any one has thinck about this gear box :

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/-/32751774465.html
Seems good in term of size of proppler?

2 Likes

Hi gobbla,
actually this angled transmission could be used to place a larger and shorter diameter motor with lower KV inside the board. I never thought of this before. Perhaps the transmission shaft is thin enough to run trough the mast.
This will have several advantages:

• not need for connecting connecting/disconnecting cables every time you remove the mast
  • you can keep the motor in a dry environment in the board
  • possible to choose from a wide variaty of motors with big diameters(more torque)

Maybe something for version 2 :slight_smile:

I imagine there would be a fair amount of loss in that right angle drive, plus, the motor would have to be mounted vertically unless you used another bevel drive at the top. It would be far easier from the point of view of wiring and sealing though.

Its true that a spiral bevel gear has a slightly worse efficiency(95% for lower ratios, especially Chinese ones :wink: ) compared to a planetary one (±97%).

Why would you need to place the motor horizontally? I see a vertical motor placement as an advantage:
-Able to use a shorter, wider motor(lower kv=no reduction needed=higher efficiency)
-able to to place in a strong concealed box(think aluminium junction box) inside the board

I was just thinking of the height of the motor plus coupling might be difficult to incorporate into the thickness of the board.

I think this could be an exceptional ideal! Would mean less under water, easier to seal and in the board we could run a motor and an angled gearbox. What are everyone elses thoughts on this?

This looks like option 11 here: Propulsion Type Overview - Wiki - Wiki - FOIL.zone. It’s been done and it works. Noise and vibration were the biggest complains, unpleasant to ride compared to the more quiet under water solutions. Also cooling is harder but that can be solved.

First water test no foiling but moving and nothing blew up. Whoop woop

Hello mp105
I do not understand your editing on your file attached, I do not see the gears for the reduction, can you explain me, thank you

I didn’t draw the gear details as you don’t need them. You just need the ring gear and bushing and bearing sizes to be able to machine a housing that’s why they are not there.

2 Likes

hello mp105
Do you have more photos of your equipment on the Metabo gearbox in detail?

Hi there don’t have many photos but Kaalepson design is similar to mine. I have attached a photo of my gearbox body. This bolts to the motor and the ring gear for the gearbox is a press fit into the machined bore on the other end. The gear box is driven by an adapter which is in the fusion files which has an 8mm bore for motor shaft and 3 holes on a 20mm PCD which the drive gear presses onto.

3 Likes

Up on the foil for the first time. Still a few niggly issues but looks promising.
Video here if interested.

3 Likes

Do you have any new updates of your build ? Have you been successfully riding your build ?

Been successfully riding it had around 3hrs ride time so far. Main problems have been keeping water out of the electronics. Just stripped the motor pod down and gearbox still looks good. Had small amount of water which was causing the motor to cut out leaking through the printed foil clamp.

2 Likes

360 video foiling

4 Likes

Still trying to decide for sure if I want to do a geared or direct drive motor, and I’m curious if your drill gearbox is still working? The geared drive would be a lot cheaper if your solution works!

Yes still going strong had over30hrs ride time with it so far. However am switching to a maytech direct drive as I feel that having less moving parts will help with efficiency and long term reliability

1 Like