eFoil Battery Packs

And what do you thing of this one

:http://vruzend.com/product-category/18650-cells/

mentiond in an earlier link on this forum, it seems there in no welding.

I like the idea of a configurable pack. I have no experience with them but I prefer not to have clamped contacts in my high current path. They only recommend 3.5A per cell, you have to build a big battery pack if you want such a low current. The other thing is cost. Nickel plated connecting band is about 5cm or ~0.03€ per cell, and the vruzend connector is about 0.62$ per cell. So if you build a pack with less than 3.5A average current per cell, don’t mind the cost/don’t wan’t to invenst in tools and you don’t need a fuse for each cell this can be a solution. I already have the tools for welding, but if you are starting out this could be much easier :+1:

Regarding BMS.

i think this one will do the job http://www.batterysupports.com/44v-48v-504v-12s-150a-12x36v-lithium-ion-lipolymer-battery-bms-p-394.html also considering the 10s version. I will also add an independent monitoring system, at least in the beginning.

Does anyone have info/Experiences/tests with high AMP BMS?

1 Like

I am planing to build an Arduino temperature monitor into my board that will monitor the temperature of the ESC, Batteries and Motor and give warnings when too hot.

1 Like

Hey Guys,
I love this idea of knowledge sharing, you guys are visionaries. I am new to hydrofoils and have a lot to learn, but I also want to contribute. I started researching DIY E-foils and found this forum - so much good info.

So how can I help?
My company makes high end electric bikes here in Southern California. In order to keep costs down and ensure quality we have partnered with a battery factory that makes custom lithium ion batteries.
I use Samsung 18650 cells in my 48V 18amp hr removable battery packs for my bikes and have had great success. Our factory can make just about any size battery in just about any configuration. The batteries can also be made with an IP-67 waterproof rating, smart BMS and have a 1000 cycle warranty. We have injection moulding machines and 15 design engineers that can provide design to final product services.

Im an enthusiast, I’m not looking to manufacture e-foils, I just make and sell batteries. I am hoping we can work together and accelerate the process and keep the costs low so I can have my own one Foil asap.

Let me know how I can help.

Rich
r_sprout@hotmail.com

1 Like

Dear Rich

I moved your post to the battery pack section.

Do you have any webpage or similar, maybe with some samle pictures of your packs? We are thinking of taking apart a Telsa module to salvage the cells and build a new battery. But it would be nicer to get a custom factory made ip67 battery (with good cells) capable of 70-80 amps.

We use the same spec batteries in our bikes that Tesla uses. It is a Samsung 18650 cell. The lithium ion battery has been around for quite some time but there have been three major problems in the past.

Firstly, the price. Most batteries are made in China and change hands and increase in price several times before they get to the consumer. Our partnership with the Turnlife factory has enabled us to have custom batteries made at way better prices. We have essentially cut out the middle man.

Secondly, lack of options. When we started building electric bikes, we were using overpriced generic hobby shop batteries that weren’t able to meet our needs. When we found something that could deliver the power we needed, it would not fit where we needed it to go.

Thirdly, the battery management system. There is very powerful chemistry inside lithium ion batteries. It has to be managed correctly or else it will cause fires and catastrophic failures. When you discharge and charge lithium batteries, they heat up. This can cause thermal run away. You have to have a very precise BMS that is designed for the charger, the battery and it’s application to prevent this from happening.

These are no longer problems for us.

I am a fireman by trade, I got into E bikes about 4 years ago with a friend after we saw one that a hobbyist had built. We loved the idea and gave it a go. We have learned and spent a lot along the way.
We knew nothing about bikes or batteries when we started our journey. I am very impressed with your guys progress and openness about your designs.

Our websites are:
www.turnlife.com and electricbikecompany.com take a look at both and we can talk more

Regards

Rich

3 Likes

hi, yea i hear you, im on a similar route, 18650s would be nice, and just to balance on a rc charger, was thinking 12s and 10 parallel banks of 3000mah cells, think it works out around 1.5kwh, but with the 20,000mah multerstars 6s packs, its ready to go,more time to think about the rest of the build, but the voltage range is tighter than the 18650s as in the cutoff point, it all adds up fairly quick in the cash side of things, but hey its so worth it :wink:

Maybe we could make a mass order of 18650 batteries for all Forum members?

3 Likes

That would be nice. Have to be the best cells:)

1 Like

Hello Guys,

a mass order would be nice for the forum members, I am interested too.

a 14S12P pack with a bms like this

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/14S-60A-active-bms-2017-new-Li-ion-smart-bms-pcm-with-android-Bluetooth-app-UART/32824233108.html?src=google&albslr=222529769&isdl=y&aff_short_key=UneMJZVf&source={ifdyn:dyn}{ifpla:pla}{ifdbm:DBM&albch=DID}&src=google&albch=shopping&acnt=494-037-6276&isdl=y&albcp=653151748&albag=36672819047&slnk=&trgt=61865531738&plac=&crea=fr32824233108&netw=g&device=c&mtctp=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIscbSktra1wIVAd0bCh2wKwJVEAQYASABEgJJ6_D_BwE
would be the best.

Maybe a stronger bms like the one Hiorth show us for the amps pike on the start .

With the LG 18650 with 10 amps pike by cell and 12 cells in parrallel = 120 amps !!

but the 18650 are well, while discharge rate is about 2 c → 7 amps by cells

I was thinking of making one pack (14S12p ) with vruzend kit ( no solder required ) , but the cells woul not be stack as close as possible, and making a good ip67 enclosure is hard to well built.

I was looking for a ip 67 connector for the charge plug , if water shorten the 2 contactors, The BMS will be in fire very quickly, it is very dangerous if not taking care about this .

a connector like this would be fine : Car Audio & Video Connectors & Terminals for Sale - eBay

one piece with the 2 cable cut and replace with silicone to make a plug .

see you

I’m stoked my 6S 24Ah 60C Lipo’s arrived yesterday. I purchased them on Alibaba from Yabo - Shenzhen Yabopower Technology, www.yabopower.com. Quick delivery time once they were manufactured, Tina Wang was my contact - very happy with service. Also got 5 fire proof storage bags for $5 each.

1 Like

Just a small contribution about fuses and fuse box : Osculati (multi language)

You will also find water pumps, wires, waterproof things and many things that could help.
It is a catalog of 1000 pages…

How much did you pay the pack ?

Hobie17 paid $227USD per pack plus $127USD for delivery (see above post on 25/10/17) Cheers

Looks great Foiledagain!
Can you tell us the total length, width, height, and weight? of that battery pack please.
$350 USD for Ion batteries and the product for assembling the battery pack?
I really wanna get away fro Lipo’s…

Hey Vefoil. Length is 308mm, width 110mm, height 88mm. Each cell is 22mmx22mm so its easy to work out. Weight including Luna cycle solid state relay switch and printed case is 4.75kg. I decided not to use a BMS in favour of a balance charger. The assembly kit is made by Vruzend, each kit containing enough pieces for 50 batteries.

Hope this helps. I haven’t tried mine in anger yet as I wanted to get the electronics done before I get carried away with the fun stuff!

https://vruzend.com/

18650 LGMJ1 3.5A purchased from : -

King zhu
Sales Director
Shenzhen Honghaosheng Electronics Co.,Ltd.
P: +(86) 755 28237685 M: +86 13027991442
F: +( 86) 755 28016834 Skype: honghaosheng02
W: www.sz-battery.com E: sales02@hhs-battery.com

Thank you very much.

Im looking for a company to make ion battery packs for 12S ready to go… looks like this SZ-battery.com does this - fantastic!

I’m not sure where you are using that remote on/off switch, but that is like the Flier power switch, its only good for 120A spikes I think not continuous current. Another guy tried the 300A version and it still melted down in 5 minutes. Not worth risking ESC/ motor/battery pack with that switch. Better to use a large 7-8mm antispark bullet connector think.

hey vefoil!

i am also looking at getting a similar pack! ready to go 18650 to suit a4500watt-7000watt motor is quite hard to get . please let me know if you find anything at a reasonable price . also a bms and charger would also be great. ill let you know if i find anything.

cheers David.

1 Like

Hey VeFoil

Thanks for the heads up ref switch. Too good to be true for that price I guess! Back to the soldering iron, again!

1 Like