CAD Package and 3D Printers

Gents,

This is a proper noob question, and not actually related to efoils as such (feel free to delete), but can you guys suggest a 3D printer and CAD software to use? I’ve no experience of 3D printing and I’m going round in circles looking at all the advice online. With regards to CAD, i’ve scratched the surface with AutoCAD LT and use it to create VERY basic P&ID’s at work. I notice that Fusion appears to be quite popular software on here. I use a Macbook at home (without windows installed) but also have a powerful work Laptop (Windows) Any advice/guidance welcome! Thanks in advance. Shaun.

1 Like

Depending on what I want to do, I use various software. I often start my designs in 2D in Draftsight (basically a free autocad) and then import them into Freecad and pad the 2D sketches. I find this way is pretty quick.
I also have Meshmixer, Fusion but dont really design in them.

2 Likes

I’m using Fusion on a mac with no problem… they have a lot of nice tutorial to help you get started, and, as lot of people are using it, Google is able to help when you have issues… it also makes it easier to grab files from other people here on the forum.
Edit: and it’s free! :slight_smile:

For the printer, i like a lot my craftbot plus.
Prusa printers also have good reviews.
One thing to consider: Heated bed it kind of mandatory or you’ll be very restricted on the materials you can print (especially for parts you want stronger and to be used outside…)

2 Likes

I recently learned to use onshape.com and I am very impressed so far.
It’s free if you share your design (which most people here do anyway, and then the designs can easily be used by everyone), and runs straight on a browser (no software to install + works on windows+mac+linux).
I used blender before, (also free), but its not great for making tweaks and changes later as it is more of an animation program than a solid 3D modeler.

For 3D printer, I’ve been using a DeltaWASP which I have access to, but would be interested to know which low cost printer (or printer kit) is advisable.

2 Likes

I left out printer…

I have 2. The first a Creality Ender 2. It pretty much handles all my printing needs now (within a 150mm x 150mm build volume). I have used it with ABS in an enclosure and it did a superb job.
The other is a hugely customised printer so there’s no point in even trying to spec it here…

1 Like

Fusion 360 and an i3 printer… you can not go wrong…

1 Like

Thanks for the info guys!

I can’t really justify an i3 printer at this stage as I have no experience and want something cheaper. I was thinking of going for a Creality Ender 3? Any thoughts?

As for CAD, I’m going to go with Fusion I think.

1 Like

My experience is that for your first printer, you must purchase a cheap one but on which you can work by yourself at replacing defaulting parts. Best way to learn.

In that sense, a cheap and heavy Crealty CR-10 is a good idea. My 17-year-old kid has his printer for a year now, and totally masters it now. Facebook CR-10 group is huge (40 000 members) with people constantly willing to help you at Redirecting...

Once you get used to it, you can purchase the exact same model but larger, still cheap, and able to print objects of 50cm x 50 cm x 50 cm !

The school of my kid has officially purchased 4 other printers with different other brands over 1000 dollars each using the school meager budget, all marketed as “plug-and-play”, and after 3 months none of them work. So students now go to my kid, and beg him on their knees to print things for them. Good to pick up chicks :wink: The few prints you can see in this forum on my posts were all printed on this printer.

Do not expect a super definition though. It just does the job, and you may apply some sanding. Anyway for marine use, you should use thick layers to improve water-tightness.

I have stopped using Fusion as it is asking too much from my old PC, and now only use an old Solidworks 2013 version, which was not so easy to understand at first…

I do not know where you are located. As a provider for delivery in France, I tend to favor Banggood over Gearbest, but that is only my personal opinion.

2 Likes

I’ve used an Anet A8 to print my pod’s pieces, it’s doing pretty well the job for the price and have a large community of users.

2 Likes

I bought a Cetus 3d and it’s awsome! :slight_smile:

1 Like