Board hatch gasket

I’m curious about which solution, gasket and enclosure you guys are using, to seal the battery compartment door, for boards with sealed compartment (no Pelikan case). I’m about to chose the gasket, any tips will be welcomed!

google waterproof boat hatches

I did, the fact is that I already have the box laminated on the board, with 20mm wide 10mm deep recess, I 've a panel to do the door, retained by M6 bolts (brass inserts dipped into the board with epoxy, so I need only a gasket, to be glued on the board recess and compressed by the hatch panel, when tighening (moderate force) the bolts.
I have closed cell neoprene sheets but for a frequently opened door… I prefer to use something else.

Most of those plastic hatches sold for nautical use are not really watertight, or not enought for our purposes, the problems arise when you step on them, they flect letting water in. The same goes for plastic boxes for electric use, better steer over the aluminum ones if you need real IP67 grade.

I Agree. Most boat hatches are built to widstand rein/sparys, not submursion. We us a epdm lipseal tape, glued together with superglue. Works like a charm, no compartment leaks ever (except when we forgot one bolt…) with more than 20 hours on the water.

3 Likes

There are these round hatches for kayaks and dinghys. They are absolutely waterproof and you can get a lot of sizes. Even made from clear polycarbonate. Only drawback is that they are round and you have some unused space inside.

I considered those also… I had those on cathamarans and dingy boat… It stopped me the accessibility factor… 4x 16A 6S batteries to wire, antispark, hall sensor ammeter… next board I will do differently, better to start designing from the hatch!

Ok! not sure yet but I spot a 3mm sheet of soft rubber at work… I’ll give it a try.

Hey
What do you thing about this hatch? Not very cheap but pretty strong.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.de%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F362119204524

Hi guys, did my first test on weekend and all went well…but…water was getting in and messed up the receiver. dried it out then back in action. So the big question …what seals work?
Hiorth i see that this type of seal works image

Has anyone else got any others seals that work and provide me with a link?
cheers for replies in advance

hey hiorth, how did this stick to epoxy/fiberglass board? was there any issues with the tape pealing off?

The tape works good on the straight sections, in the corners we use super glue, works really well :slight_smile: Never had water inside any compartments with this.

thanks hiorth, your a legend!

Here are a few pictures of what I did to make my own gasket as the hatch I installed was a huge disappointment with water infiltration. For some reason I am missing some pictures, but I have enough to give a good example. The material I routed for forming the gasket is cheap PVC from Lowes. The gasket pulls out real easy.

Hi.

3m tape!

1/2" thickness. Two layers works perfectly for me. But, you can keep layering it untill you have the thickness you need.

When done building up the layer thickness grease the top adhesive with silicone grease. Rub it in for a few minutes to make sure the adhesive is greased. You can then wipe off the extra silicone grease. The top of the 3m tape is now tacky and greasy. Best seal I’ve found so far.

My board seals up so tight now that a hear a hissing sound when I open it after the ride because of the hot expanded air.

:call_me_hand:

What kind of 3m tape are you referring to?

The double sided kind… standby. I’ll attach a link

I can do two layers with one of these roles. I only purchase with this link because it is genuine. Be careful. There is a lot of generic 3m tape online and it sucks.

Make sure to silicone grease the top of th tape before closing or you will never be able to open it again! :rofl:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MAQBPEM/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_track_package_o1_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

I used this and worked fine but feels like extended water application might break down the material.

Did you finally found any watertight hatch lock?

The latches that Lift uses are 100% watertight. But not cheap!

:call_me_hand: