Alien 200A 3-16S vs Seaking V3 130A vs Flier 400A

From alien, got my order in a week ( france)

I’m not so convinced of the quality of these ESC project, first of all cooling should be underneath, on semiconductor side of fets, not on top of the plastic case, even though this failed probably because one of the mosfet blown. I noticed the motor to run more ruvid, noisy after a stop on which i tilted the board. I headed back immediately, then a couple of jerks and motor turned off. 6 fets burned, shorted, soldering below melted, related controller chip blown as well. There’s a thermistor but was below silicone, don’t know how effective could be. By takin it apart, you could feel how cheap and "chinese"is this Flier ESC

1 Like

I’m running one of these on my custom heatsink to switch on the water pump at 40 degrees: KSD 9700 Temperature Switch Thermostat Thermal Protectors. 40 to 150 degrees | eBay

You could always use one that stops the ESC when it hits around 70.

1 Like

Does anyone run the seaking submersed since it’s waterproof?

3 Likes

Modding the YEP 120.Cooling seems a joke. I will add the watercooling from old Flier on the top side and keep controller pcb separated from mosfet.

1 Like

Are those pipe at the sides for watercooling? Are they even touching any parts?

They are two straight pipes, soldered to the pcb core, on the side. Ideally they should remove some heat from the inner pcb layer, where the fets are hotter, then there are two thin aluminum plate on top of mosfet on each side. I leave those and add a proper watercooling plate on the opposite side. Other than this and an very complicate programming procedure, YEP esc doesn’t seem too bad. Finger crossed

Thanks for the info. I also consider this ESC or the 180A version because of their programmability and good price.

@VeFoil what BEC are you using with the Flier 400 amp controller?

WE used a few depending on the setup for testing and riding as swapped a lot of setups and part during the testing phase. The one I like the best is not sold on hobbyking anymore, but we used only this from the same brand but it handled 12S without any issues: https://hobbyking.com/de_de/kingkong-5v-3a-ubec.html

Our custom 300A VESC has built in BEC so we have not used them for a while.