Alien 200A 3-16S vs Seaking V3 130A vs Flier 400A

A car battery with 12v can together with the coil and breakers produce sparks of 10 000 volts or more for the sparkplugs. The esc can produce voltage spikes that kan kill the esc itself (if you do not have enough capacitors) so it is not impossible for it to be harmful, if it is likely that is another story.

Please have a look at the new thread opened:

The electricity is and has been my main concern from battery chemical fires, to hot wires to ESCā€™s shorting out, to getting shocked. I touched on this is a post a couple months ago and PowerGlider has shared some great info above in the link confirming this.

On a lighter note getting shocked with AC from the motor is better than DCā€¦ DC forces your body to lockup until you die or disconnect, while AC provides the pulsing allowing us to react and let go. The good news is that if you get shocked while ridingā€¦ it wonā€™t be long before you fall and disconnect :slight_smile:

Hi!

Ok, do you know if itā€™s a direct connection between - and the pipes? My guess is that that would be the same for the esc:s using heat sink and wc as well? Fet:s are normally connected screwed to the heat sink in which the pipes run.

Thanks

Rikard

The cooling pipes are grounded (thereā€™s a link through the PCB to the negative terminal).

At last it worked!!! I powered the Flier 200A 16s (same as the Alien) and it works, cool. But, just save me quit cursing, itā€™s impossible to set just by the beeping and remote, definitely an absurd method. So, all pumped up by the sound of the SSS360 revving I got the Pl2303 usb to uart, disconnected everyrhing andā€¦ The usb donā€™t work!!! Seems a driver issue but I tried everything, any driver from 2007 to now. Nothing. Error 10 message, no way to plug ESC to computer. I ordered a different adapterā€¦ Let see next week. No answer till now from Flier

Hi
could you get your PC connection to the Flier to work? Iā€™m asking because Iā€™m also considering buying a Flier 200A 16S for a SSS56104/420KV motor with 12S LiPos and 5:1 gear.
Iā€™m just no sure about cooling, I donā€™t like the idea of water cooling with a pump, over complicated, needs tubes down the mast. Iā€™m thinking about putting the ESC in a separate alu box inside the board, close to the bottom and connect it to an alu plate which is part of the board, maybe even a heatsink, something like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Ship-Cooler-for-LED-PCB-Aluminum-PCB-led-grow-light-heat-sink-195-10-200MM/32756455741.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.VO2mtT
Like this, the heat absorption would be quite high when accelerating (wet heat sink coming out of the water, would evaporate water which is good for cooling) and probably still OK after the board lifted (depending of the size of the heat sink and the ESCā€™s power loss during cruise speed).
Any thoughts?

Yes, I bought a simple USB to Uart adapter, few Euros and I managed to set plug the ESC to my computer. For watercooling Iā€™ve a cave carbon rod all the way down the mast, very simple, flow granted by a membrane pump, feeded by step up converter 5 (UBEC, for receiver) to 10V for the pump and 2 PG7 to get silicone tube in/out of sealed ESC box. (metal box IP67) There are 2 things which scare me: pump plastic nipple eventually giving up while the pump is running and that carbon rod which cause bad galvanic with the aluminum mast. Solvables, both.

Flier ESC seems ok, I added 2 low ERS capacitors in parallel to the battery cables, 5cm before the ESC, 270uF 100V, from Panasonic, because 4 battery harnesses, serial-parallel, antispark switch, from main box to ESC boxā€¦ my cables seemed too long! Never tried under load yetā€¦ it still too cold, Iā€™d very rare chances to go lay epoxy in the last months, unfortunately I miss a warm lab.
Heat sink works fine for many guys here, so it should work.

Got the Flier ESC (240A, 22S Air Version with Boat SW). PC connection with provided USB2Serial adapter works. MaB, what timing angle do you use with your Flier ESC? My motor is quite close to yours, itā€™s a 6 pole 420kv SSS56104.

Iā€™ve the boat version, I left 0 degrees of timing, linear soft accelleration, no reverse, Set point automatic and for now automatic starting power, I want to try with propeller a fixed value at which the motor starts, the lowest possible, to avoid that surge when the motor ignites from zero rmp. My motor should be 10 pole (360kw, 56114).

1 Like

Hey guys, just received my Flier 200A 16S (car version), but when i connect it, it bips ten times every 10 seconds and nothing happensā€¦any suggestion?
I tried same configuration with Maytech ESC and works like a charmā€¦

Connect the flier ESC through the serial link cable to your PC, then you can configure it through their SW. I think you can also load boat Firmware to the ESC, at least I could order an air cooled version with boat SW installed. Maybe itā€™s best to ask them which boat firmware is compatible with your ESC model, there are many different versions that can be downloaded. In the SW you can configure parameters like acceleration, reverse on/off, motor timing and so on.

1 Like

Thx Sat_be, yeah i tried it, i can modify & write parameters but i cannot flash the firmwareā€¦
the installed firmware is Car 3s-16sā€¦
It is an Opto version so i have an external 5v alimentation, i do not know if it is a problem or notā€¦
I will receive new throtlle receiver, maybe it will solve problem

There is something that sound like autocalibrationā€¦
i left all those on automatic and it worked at the first try.

Well the throttle work, but i think i have to push it once to full power right after connecting before it does anything.
Iā€™m not 100% sure i reach full speed (no way to measure my RPM ā€¦ yet.
My problem now is that when i try to start it slowly, it kind of kicks and then itā€™s all smoothā€¦
Might be related to the settings or may be the code i made for the remoteā€¦ i checked it yesterday and it look a bit fishy :slight_smile:

thereā€™s a setting, start power i think itā€™s called, try to set that to 5 or 10% and do the testing againā€¦ maybe it will reduce that kick in. Iā€™ve not tried yet because my motor pod is assembled and I donā€™t want to run it dry, because oilseals getā€™s hot quickly and could get damaged as well, but I think that could be the setting to vary for that ignition surge.

ok found the problem, i had to connect the positive UBEC cable to ESCā€¦i did not know that ESC needed +5V
I thought only negative and signal was enough.

1 Like

i was afraid to touch that start power to not loose torqueā€¦
i changed the timing (to 20 degree if i remember) and itā€™s all smooth nowā€¦
it was on 0 before with monitor on, and i understood it would self adjustā€¦ i guess i was wrong.

1 Like

What motor do you use? Poles and KV?

Alien C80100 80KV ā€¦ Regarding the poles, iā€™m not sure ā€¦ all i can say is that there are 12 ā€œwindingsā€ and 14 magnets.

If there are 14 magnets there are 14 poles facing the stator and thus 7 pole pairs. Thatā€™s all really about the magnetic field. For calculating the actual RPM from the ERPM (i.e. the frequency of the currents in the stator shown by the ESC) you can use RPM=ERPM/pole pairs. I hope this helps a little, I canā€™t tell much about the timing as I used the autodetect feature of the VESC software.

2 Likes