3D printing, how do you do it?

Hi @Flo, just wondering what brand lacquer you used? Did you just spray it straight on to sanded PLA? Cheers

As Laquer I used „Cramolin Urethan klar“ which is just urethan laquer. The other one is an off-brand low cost Alkyd laquer. I just sprayed the inside of my housing twice with a thick coat and did let it dry for days. That got it leakproof as far as I can tell. My standard PLA print soaked the laquer almost like a sponge. I did not sand much, only wiped my print with denatured alcahol. Maybe I degreased it with acetone, but I don‘t remember exactly as I opimised my print settngs instead.

I do however recommmend to tune your printing parameters first. Look in my old post. Use many perimeter lines (>=4) and maybe some overextrusion and a higher printing temp. You can use pressurized air to check for leaks. Usual prints for me leaked like a sieve. With optimized settings it should hold air well. You can use laquer aferwards to bulletproof it.

Timing Belt Reduction

Also use small layer heights. 0.1mm is much more compact than 0.2mm.

Great, thanks for that. I have printed my parts that need to be watertight with 5 perimeters, 10 top and bottom layers 210deg on the nozzle and 0.98 extrusion factor with PLA, haven’t done a proper air test yet but so far it looks like they are going to be waterproof. Just wanted to add lacquer as a bit of extra security and maybe give a bit of a coat on the outside to stop scuff marks and the PLA getting dirty. Cheers

Hi has any one tried Appolo X
ApolloX™ is a professional high strength & performance engineering filament based on a uniquely industrial-grade modified ASA (Acrylonitrile Styrene Acrylate) compound. ApolloX™ has been modified to have great thermal stability & improved filament flow behavior and has zero-warping and flawless first- and interlayer adhesion allowing you to 3D print objects with an almost injection molding precision.

ApolloX™ is UV & weather resistant ensuring great color stability – combined with high strength and heat resistant properties – which makes ApolloX™ a perfect engineering filament for outdoor and automotive applications.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Fusion 360 help thread

Never tried that brand of ASA but any good ASA based filament will offer the same. You can’t get even near the quality and mechanical specs than the crappiest injection molded part, using 3D print, but hey, that’s what we have available and for the most of our necessity… it’s enougt! When you want more strenght, composites (laminated on top or full body inside a 3d printed mold) could give you better results. At cost of hours of (dirt) labor!

We used a MarkForged printer for our waterproof remote, holy cow, those print beautifully! You cant tell which side is the good side or the bad… They did use some high-end machine and the material is super strong, and was $100 in material alone, but very very nice!

Nick, were in Canada are you? I’m a Canuck! Spring is ALMOST HERE!